Livestock markets used to be held in Thornbury High Street, The Plain and Castle Street. This photograph shows cattle milling around the Pump and the top of Castle Street in 1911. In that year, the livestock market was relocated to a designated market area in Rock Street where it remained until 1996.
The town has a number of historically interesting buildings. Cossham Hall, in Chapel Street next to the museum, was built in 1780 as a Wesleyan Chapel. It was visited by John Wesley on several occasions and later purchased and donated to the town by Handel Cossham in 1888. The jettied building in the High Street near the St. Peter’s Hospice shop is a timber framed structure of 16th century origins. The Town Hall, a former Magistrates Court and Police Station, was remodelled from 17th and 18th century buildings in 1860. The Swan is an old coaching inn dating from the 17th century. Porch House (No. 11 Castle Street) has 15th century origins.
Museum volunteers regularly lead Guided Walks around Thornbury and point out historical features.